Last revised: 06 Mar 2014
(c. 1750 – Before 27 Jun 1825)
Edmund Fair, Sr. was born around 1750. and married Silence (last name unknown) about 1770 probably in Virginia or North Carolina. The first record we have of his military service is on 10 Oct 1774 as Private Edmund Fair in the Bedford County Virginia Militia at the Battle of Point Pleasant under Lt. John Haynes in Lord Dunmore’s Little War. In 1779 he was at Fort Boonesborough serving under Col. John Holder. It was also in that year that he sold 1400 acres on Houston Creek, nearby to Col. John Holder and John Martin. He served in Gen. George Rogers Clark’s Illinois Regt. where it is recognized that Gen. Clark’s services kept the Ohio river from being the Canadian southern border. In 1780 Edmund and Silence were living in Quaker Meadows in Burke County, North Carolina near brothers Joseph and Charles McDowell. Edmund bought a lot of land there as he also did in Kentucky. Court records in Burke Co., NC also show that Slience as well as Edmund reported on many Tories, which usually ended in a death sentence for the Tories. Captain Edmund Fair, Sr., under the leadership of his neighbor Major Joseph McDowell with the Overmountain Men, was a hero at the Battle of Kings Mountain on 07 Oct 1789. This battle is recognized as the turning point of the Revolutionary War in favor of the patriots.
In 1798 Edmund, Sr. received a land grant which included the land on top of Walnut Hill. When Edmund Fair, Sr. died his land on top of Walnut Hill extended north to the Green River.
Edmund Fair, Sr.’s Will was written 14 Oct 1816 and proven in Casey Co., KY Court on 27 Jun 1825. In it he gave one Shilling each to his ten children, saying that they had already received their full portion, and leaving the balance of his estate to his dearly beloved wife Silence. His ten children, in the order they were named in his Will, were: Sarah, Rebecca, James M., Absalom, Edmund, Jr., Mary, Hannah, Margaret, Jane, and Aaron B.
Edmund Fair, Sr. was buried in the Fair Cemetery which is still on the family owned land near Liberty in Casey Co., KY.